NCS is a registered non-profit membership organisation aimed at supporting archives, libraries and museums to care for their collections. We constantly look for innovative ways of making conservation support affordable and achievable for organisations with no conservation staff.
NCS Full Membership provides an Accredited expert consultant to visit you regularly and help identify and resolve conservation needs. On-site support is offered under Introductory and Full Membership, with a range of subscription charges to choose from. Conservation treatments or digitisation can also be provided as an alternative option to advisory support when required. When projects have been designed as part of planning under subscription time, they can then be delivered or tendered for at agreed additional costs. Institutions can also join as Supporting Members and get a range of the normal Member benefits including remote technical advice, free environmental monitoring for one location, access to the Members' area and eligibility to join our Collaborative Storage Scheme. Standard NCS rates are discounted for all levels of Member for conservation studio projects and digitisation carried out at NCS studios in London and Oxfordshire.
Typical Full Member advisory support includes:
- Environmental surveys for storage, reading rooms and exhibition spaces;
- Planning environmental improvement projects or conservation programmes, including help with fund-raising;
- Conservation analysis and treatment specifications for damaged items;
- Exhibition and loans planning, couriering, monitoring and regulatory support;
- Training of staff and volunteers in handling and care activities;
- Expert liaison with building management surveyors and mechanical engineers;
- Collection surveys, benchmarking and conservation management plans for funding bids and for collections in historic buildings;
- Help with emergency control plans and risk assessments
NCS brings together conservation consulting Associates and a range of other providers, selected to meet the highest standards of professional expertise. Conservation Associates are PACR accredited conservators or from Conservation Registered practices.
More information about membership levels and benefits can be found on our Membership Rates page